Disclosure: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. If you click an affiliate link I will make a small commission at no extra cost to yourself. Affiliate marketing is one of the ways we keep the lights on around here so I appreciate your support and understanding!
Alright, I’m going to level with you, this is the best watermelon margarita Jell-O shot recipe in the history of the world.
In fact, it’s so awesome I could literally write paragraphs about how amazing it is and tell you fascinating stories about who all I’ve shared them with. All the fun get-togethers that they’ve been a part of.
Beach days, birthday parties…. there’s a list of places these are awesome to have.
Lucky for you, I’m not going to give you a massive bunch of paragraphs to read through. I’m just going to give you the recipe.
- Watermelon Jell-O (best if you get the Jolly Rancher brand and this link will take you to a 12 pack, trust me just go with the bulk order.)
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 Cup Lime Juice
- 1/3 Cup Nektar Apricot Liqueur (this is the best ingredient for any margarita!)
- 1/2 Cup Tequila (any brand you like)
- Jell-O shot cups
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water into a bowl with your Jolly Rancher Watermelon Jell-O. Stir quickly until it is full mixed
- Add 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Add 1/4 cup of Nektar (do not skip this ingredient, it is magical and cuts the taste of the tequila)
- Add 1/2 cup of tequila (if you use Nektar to cut the harsh flavor of the tequila you can get away with using a cheaper tequila. I did an experiment last summer and I now use the bottomest, bottom shelf tequila and you can’t taste the difference. The Nektar is key, if I didn’t add this I would use MUCH nicer tequila)
- Mix everything and pour into tiny plastic shot containers
- Chill for an hour and then enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Use the Jolly Rancher brand watermelon gelatin, the flavor is consistent and the best all around. I’ve found that it’s worth buying in bulk off Amazon and always have some of these hanging out in my fridge.
I always buy my containers in bulk off Amazon as well, I hate having to make a last minute run to the store and this pack of 200 seems to be the best fit for my needs.
Just to throw it out there because I don’t think it’s common knowledge, Jimmy Buffet makes a margarita flavored Jello-O mix and it is amazing. I’ve found it at Walmart occasionally and it is almost always in stock on Amazon.
If you make these be sure to tag me on Instagram, I always like to vicariously join a good happy hour!